Guide to Laser Hair Removal
A complete guide for the consumer containing important information
on laser hair removal. Sponsored by the Institute
of Laser Medicine at 100 UCLA Medical Plaza, Los Angeles 90095.
Lasers are a new modality for the rapid, gentle removal of unwanted
hair. Lasers are not for everyone, and their proper use requires
great expertise. Consumers contemplating laser hair removal require
education to properly evaluate if and where to have laser hair
removal performed. Many competing technologies exist. Several
are already outmoded, and others offer particular advantages for
certain patient populations. This site is designed to help consumers
decide if they are proper candidates for laser hair removal and
to answer the most relevant questions concerning this important
1. Am I a candidate for laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal is not for everyone. The absolute requirement
is that one's hair must be darker than the surrounding skin. Additionally
very darkly pigmented people absorb too much laser energy in their
skin and are not ideal candidates. Tanned patients with light
hair are not candidates. Tanned patients with dark hair should
wait until their tan fades before they are treated. Lastly the
treatment cost should be within reach of the patient. Laser hair
removal, although much less expensive than electrolysis, requires
multiple treatments, and generally costs over $1000 in total for
most anatomic areas.
2. What will it cost for laser hair removal for me?
Treatment cost varies with the size of the area treated. Experienced
laser centers, which have developed expertise in laser hair removal,
generally average about $500 per treatment session, with an average
of four treatment sessions initially recommended. Large areas,
such as the entire back, or the entire legs, cost considerably
more than this. Small areas, such as the upper lip, can be less.
Individual consultation with the laser center is necessary to
obtain exact pricing.
3. Influence of skin color on laser hair
4. Influence of hair color on laser hair removal.
5. Laser hair removal requires multiple treatments.
6. What areas can be treated?
7. About permanent hair reduction by laser.
8. Pulsed light and laser hair removal.
9. Myths 1: Guarantees in laser hair removal.
10. Myths 2: Discount laser hair removal clinics.
11. Myths 3: Laser hair removal limitations
12. Qualifications of laser hair removal personnel.
13. Importance of experience in selecting a laser hair removal
14. Tanning and laser hair removal.
15. Adverse treatment reactions.
16. Diet and laser hair removal.
17. Beta-Carotene and laser hair removal.
18. Laser hair removal and children.
19. Laser hair removal for African-Americans.
20. Laser hair removal for other people of color.
21. Who should not have laser hair removal.
22. How to assess a laser hair removal facility.
further information on laser hair removal, including before and
after photographs, click here.
Return to the
Home Page of the Institute of Laser Medicine 100 UCLA Medical
Plaza, Los Angeles 90095.
text and graphics on this website Copyright ©2007 Institute
Research Associates, A [private] Medical Group, Inc. All rights
reserved. Reproduction prohibited.